Sunday, February 7, 2016

CHD Awareness Week





Today kicks off CHD Awareness Week, a time to promote awareness and education about congenital heart defects (CHDs). CHDs affect nearly 1 in 100 births, and follow the infant through childhood into adulthood. There are many corrective procedures that can be done to help, and medications that can help as well, but anyone born with a CHD, like me, knows that there is no cure. It's something we have to live with every day of our lives.

I wrote My Open Heart several years ago to share my story of growing up with heart disease with adolescents who are dealing with one too, as well as adolescents dealing with other chronic illnesses, and parents of those who are living with one. I wanted them to see that even though the road through life has many obstacles, they can be overcome, and you can achieve anything you put your heart and mind to.

Please join me in promoting CHD Awareness Week:

  • Use #CHDAware in your posts
  • Add a graphic
  • Tell your own story
Together, we can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment