Sunday, March 1, 2015

2015 Reading Campaign Check-in

It's hard to believe it's already March. Two whole months have passed since we entered 2015. Two months to get going on your Reading Campaign.
I have to admit, my year has been slow so far. With the loss of my grandfather at the end of January, I've been moving in slow motion. But now I'm ready to start going again, and plan to do some heavy reading to make up for my time.
I've read two books so far
The Fault in our Stars in January
This was an incredible book, and one of the best I've read in a long time, in way of story and dialogue. I loved the characters and the way they interacted with each other. They were going through a lot, and fighting for their lives while preparing to die at the same time, yet kept up that special attitude that only teenagers can display. What an incredible book! Now I know why it's so popular. Also, I believe I contributed to the Kleenex company for several days after.
The Book Thief in February
Another tear-jerker. I've heard the story of the Holocaust my whole life due to my Jewish heritage, but never from the German point of view. What an incredible insight the author presented, especially through the eyes of a child. I know there were sympathetic Germans, and many took in survivors and hid them, but to read the journey of one family who did such was a wonderful experience. The story was very emotional and heartfelt.
One thing I discovered from reading these books back-to-back is that I need a break from emotional reads. I need to break them up with fun stories in between. So I'll be reading two of Tonya Kappes' Magical Cure books and The DUFF this month. If you'd like to join me in reading and discussing The DUFF, join the Indie YA Wolves Book Club on Facebook. We'd love to have you!

What book experiences have you had so far this year? Let me know in the comments.
Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment